Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Lesson in Etiquette

For those who know me personally you'll know that I have many passions in my life and one of those passions is burlesque.  Like so many things in my life it was Kat who introduced me and I went to my first class knowing barely anything about it.  I remember how horrified I was at the moves, the seduction - oh my how I blushed the first time I tied someone to a chair and shimmied my breasts in front of them.  But I quickly grew to love it and the reason I loved it was not just because of the way it makes me feel but because of the way I was introduced to it.  The awesome Ms Deb Delicious was my teacher - a woman so talented just watching her takes my breath away.  Better, she is beautiful of soul as well as of figure and she told us all that we could dance and be beautiful.  I believed her and it turns out she was right.

I am not a woman who has ever really had a lot of girlfriends.  My experience with others of the fairer sex was not positive going through high school and I tend to just get along better with guys in general.  Burlesque was the first time in my life where I landed in a room full of women who I genuinely liked.  No bitchiness, no nastiness, just loads of giggling, compliments and intimacy.  It was bliss.  We start each class by describing a sexy and an unsexy moment we've experienced during the week and boy the things that we talk about!  New boyfriends, new girlfriends, sickness, favourite clothes, bitchiness...the list of sexy and unsexy things is endless and revealing.

Burlesque has not been anything like what I expected from that very first day and it has come to mean a lot to me and to change me in unexpected ways.  You hear what they say about society poisoning our minds about our bodies but until the first moment where you genuinely fall in love with your body and what it can do you don't realise that you've secretly bought into the idea that you ought to look like a barbie doll and resigned yourself to a lifetime of ordinariness.  Burlesque made me wake up to myself.  It made me feel good about myself.  It gave me confidence.  I came to realise that it doesn't matter what shape you are, what colour your hair is or how big your breasts are; someone, somewhere thinks you are the hottest thing since the sun first burst into the sky.  And that hotness is only magnified if you believe in yourself and carry yourself with confidence.  Burlesque is the reason I have moments where I believe I am beautiful and desirable.  It has given me self-confidence beyond any understanding of the word I ever had before I started to dance.

My burlesque school is small and intimate.  None of us look like Playboy models.  None of us are professional dancers.  What we are is a group of smart, animated women who gather to practice our bumps and grinds, make our costumes, giggle and gossip.  For me burlesque is a sacred space.  I go there and share my tragedies and triumphs through my sexy and unsexy moments.  I've cried with these women in some pretty dark moments and they've held me.  I've danced with them and admired everything about their beautiful faces, minds and bodies.  I've loved every damn minute of every class I've ever been to and it's not because I get to take my clothes off and gyrate - it's because these fantastic women love me just as I am and wouldn't have me any other way.

A few weeks ago the girls gave an incredible performance and I was there with Kat to cheer them on.  They were so funny, sexy and brilliant.  I screamed myself hoarse.  It was an incredible, amazing show that left them all high.  I know how much it took for some of them to get up there and do it - reveal themselves, put it out there, dance their hearts out in daring costumes for people they don't even know.  They deserved to be lauded and applauded purely for trying.  The fact that they were so damn good at it was icing on the cake.

Unfortunately not everyone feels the way I do.  Today I found out that some people on Facebook decided to write horrible things about our little group and its performers.

To me, it's water off a duck's back.  Ironically these classes and the beautiful Miss Deb are the reason I care not a jot for these people or anything they have to say.  Nothing can touch the love I have for these women or the confidence I have in myself thanks to them.  But watching poor Miss Deb struggling to hold back her tears while she talked about it today made me powerfully angry.  Generally I think that people who have to say those sorts of things about others do so because of a flaw in their own character.  Insecurity, jealousy, whatever it may be and I don't think any attention should be given to them or the poison they leak into the world.

But you hurt someone I care a great deal for and so I've decided to write this post so I can say this...

There are not enough people in this world willing to give their all and bare themselves to others in the hope of achieving connections and building relationships.  It takes guts to put yourself on a stage in a skimpy costume, dance your heart out and trust that the audience will treat you with respect.  It is bloody hard and a damn sight braver than sitting on a computer criticising the work of others from a safe emotional distance.

I like to think that this behaviour was a thoughtless moment in time - a product of distance between the person who wrote those things and the people they were writing about.  Let's close that distance and put it in a nutshell folks - you broke the heart of a beautiful woman who has brought nothing but joy and confidence to countless women who really needed it - some of us in our most desperate hour of self-loathing and need.  You need to have a good, long think about that and reconsider your actions and their impact on others.  And, just in case you still don't get it, I've dumbed it down to a level you might actually understand;



For the rest of you?  If you do ever go to see a show, cheer your guts out...not just for the awesome moves and the beautiful bodies but for the bravery of those who are willing to put it all out there for your viewing and entertainment pleasure.  Be a positive force in this world people.

4 comments:

  1. Too beautiful! Thank you for writing what so many of us were feeling. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the reason I do burlesque, to see us all grow and change for the better. I don't care about accolades or awards or being a 'star' I do it for the love of it and for the great friends, opportunities, experiences and love it has brought me. This is beautiful and brought a year to my eye xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tear even...stupid autocorrect!!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, this is beautiful!
    To me, Burlesque allows a woman to express this little part of herself which is separate to the roles and pressures of her everyday life. I know it is good for my soul! I also enjoy that burlesque celebrates a woman's uniqueness and that our uniqueness is encouraged! This is why the shows are great because you get a sneak peak into all of these beautiful women, if we were all trying to be the same, it would make for a pretty boring show/world. Thanks again! Love Sugar Star

    ReplyDelete