Friday, January 4, 2013

Stuff my kids get up to

I could write an entire blog purely based on the things my two kids say and do.  I love the two of them to death and I have real trouble not laughing when I shouldn't be laughing.  Every day there's either something they say or something they do that undoes me.  For the purposes of demonstrating what my kids get up to I give you three examples from the last 24 hours.

1.)  The hamper of shame.  Whenever there's something they don't want me to know about it gets buried in their laundry hamper.  His is a purple elephant.  Hers is a fluro yellow and orange duck.  I think because they personally never empty them that they just assume that no one does.  No word on how the washing magically shows up clean in their draws.  In any event, if they're trying to hide something the laundry hampers are the go-to place of choice.  Hmmm - mum got pretty mad that I took one bite of my apple and tossed it into the compost...something something wasteful...better hide the rest of this cheese sandwich...I KNOW IN MY HAMPER.

This one cracked me up.  It used to be a ball but when I found it buried in the purple elephant it was so forlorn I had to laugh.  When I presented it to both of them and asked who was responsible, my son's guilty little face gave the game away.  I don't even know how he killed it and I was too amused to punish him.


2.)  Learning how to deal.  Uno is big in our house at the moment.  I don't mind playing it with them because I think it conveys a bunch of useful skills.  Colours and numbers for James, strategy for her*, sportsmanship for them both.  Unfortunately we're constantly finding Uno cards everywhere because Charlotte is too impatient to learn how to shuffle properly...and James likes hurling them everywhere just because.  But this one took me by surprise.  When I unrolled my Envirosax to put the shopping in today I found precisely four Uno cards in each one.  It was completely random and I don't know which of them did it or why.


3.) Selfies.  They know how to unlock my phone.  They know what the camera is.  They know how to take photos of themselves.  Which is how Daddy wound up with roughly a dozen photos of his son's favourite part of his anatomy on his phone...and how I wind up with random shots like this that occasionally capture the naughty smile that signals mischief in progress.  And yes, he is almost always naked in every single photo.


*  Learning to cope with the unfortunate fact that her small Viking brother appears to have inherited not just all the Irish blood but the luck too.  He doesn't understand strategy, he barely understands how to play and yet somehow even when she cheats he still manages to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment